(DEL VALLE, Texas) – Starting on Aug. 28, Del Valle ISD will begin distributing letters to the households of the children in the district about eligibility guidelines for free or reduced-price meals and information on how families can apply for these benefits. The following criteria for free and reduced-price meal benefits will determine a child’s eligibility:
- Household income that is at or below the income eligibility levels.
Categorical or Automatic Eligibility
- Household receiving Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF); or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR).
- Child’s status as a foster child, homeless, runaway, migrant or displaced by a declared disaster.
- Child’s enrollment in Head Start or Even Start.
For those households that qualify for free or reduced-price meals based on income, an adult in the household must fill out a free and reduced-price meal application and return it to the Food Service Department. Those individuals filling out the application will need to provide the following information:
- Names of all household members
- Amount, frequency, and source of current income for each household member
- Last 4 digits of the Social Security number of the adult household member who signs the application or, if the adult does not have a social security number, check the box for”No Social Security number”
- Signature of an adult household member confirming that the information provided is correct
Categorical or Program Eligibility
Del Valle ISD is working with local agencies to identify all children who are categorically and program eligible. Del Valle ISD will notify the households of these children that they do not need to complete an application. Any household that does not receive a letter or that wishes to decline the benefits should contact Food Service at 512-386-3076.
Applications may be submitted any time during the school year. The information households provide on the application will be used for the purpose of determining eligibility. Applications may also be verified by the school officials at anytime during the school year.
Under the provisions of the free and reduced-price meal policy Food Service will review applications and determine eligibility. Households or guardians dissatisfied with the Reviewing Official’s eligibility determination may wish to discuss the decision with the Reviewing Official on an informal basis. Households wishing to make a formal appeal for a hearing on the decision may make a request either orally or in writing to the Assistant Superintendent of Business and Finance at 5301 Ross Rd. Del Valle, TX 78610.
If a household member becomes unemployed or if the household size increases, the household should contact the school. Such changes may make the children of the household eligible for benefits if the household’s income falls at or below the attached current income eligibility guidelines.
|Reduced-Price Meal Income Eligibility Guidelines|
|Family Size||Annually||Monthly||Twice per Month||Every Two Weeks||Weekly|
|For each additional family member add:|
|+ $7,733||+ $645||+ $323||+ $298||+ $149|